Author Topic: GT80A update  (Read 11077 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
GT80A update
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Hi guys, been working on my gt80 starting to look a bit more complete should have it rolling in a couple of months when I get the wheels done thanks Michael. :)

1971 tm400 and PE's

firko

Re: GT80A update
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »
How good is this for a 16 year old?.......It's fantastic Michael. That TM400 you'll eventually get will be going to a good home if this is any indication of your talents. Keep up the good work. PM sent.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »
Thanks Firko, great to get compliments from guys that I know have been there and done this sort of build before.

It is still a little ways off done but getting there every day it is sometimes hard to believe it is the same bike I rode when I was little but I know all the original bits on it from handle bars to footpegs I know all the bits thanks alot Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
That looks brilliant Michael! Keep the progress pics coming.
One of the first bikes I ever rode was one of these and an old dual range ag bike.....owned by a mate or a mate at the time, used to ride them around the grounds of Avoca Beach Rest Home of all places!!!

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »
Thanks Mx will do found out some more info on gt80's during the build the swingarm changed my 76 parts bike swingarm/brake stay was different would fit fine but different also the washers behind the shocks the parts book only shows one but infact there were more thats why that little level is there they clear everything fine but top had two behind the shock and bottom only one to keep the shocks inline I could actually notice the funny angle of them I am good at picking levels and I am sure shocks should sit straight not out to the sides.

The bike has forced me to be a bit picky have a few spares about that were just not good enough so need to get rid of alot of stuff after I finish the build also see my little orange book have to thank tmbill for that one has exploded diagrams perfect to tell what bolts are needed how many washes etc etc and how it goes together thanks alot Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
Often you will find rear shocks on bikes will lean inwards at the top. Take a look at a husky from the 80's. Also my TS 250 left side shock leans in at the top and its ment to. Its out wider at the bottom for chain clearance and leans in at the top. If it was out wider at the top that would have ment the rails that the seat sits on would have to be wider which would mean the seat would have to be wide to reach the seat lock so thats why they designed it so the shock leaned in at the top. If you go heim bearings its ok but if its only rubber bushes they can wear out quickly. Im not saying you are wrong with adding the extra washer though ;)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
Clearance isn't a problem on these nothing to hit also the amount of thread was an indicator before the dome nuts went on I couldn't remember how many washers where on there I stripped the bike probably two years ago ::) it was easy to take apart proofing a bit more difficult to put back together the 76 had two washers top and bottom but it also had a different swingarm.

You can actually see the other swingarm in the picture it is hard to pick a difference but see it has a support on the rh side also the brake stay is still on it and see it runs from the start to the end of the arm the 74 comes off that rh buddy peg and it is a much shorter part I will post a pic of it soon but it comes off the part that is threaded on the inside of that rh buddy peg.

That is only a minor change I am sure it was to cost cut like the 76 and 75 went to alot of silver painted parts where earlier models were chromed the headlight ears are an example 73 gt1 and 74 gta had chrome headlight ears when 75 gtb onwards had silver painted ears.

See I have been paying attention and these minor changes seem major to me it will be period correct thats for sure thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
How good is this for a 16 year old?.......It's fantastic Michael. That TM400 you'll eventually get will be going to a good home if this is any indication of your talents. Keep up the good work. PM sent.

I have to agree with you 100% firko,most if not all the 16-18y/old have their heads shoved in an ipod or laptop never seeing the light of day and couldn't put a sentence together.
When i joined up on here about a year ago,i always thought Michael was a mid 20-40 y/old that knew his stuff.
Great work on the GT80 Michael keep the pics coming!
cheers...mario

Offline floberts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:37 PM »
Looks great mate.

Keep the pics coming, these topics are my favourite ones to follow.

Cheers ;D
Ben

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
Will do Mario haven't had a chance to get to the post office to send that muffler will do it asap I haven't forgot thanks Michael.

Also 17 now 18 in october so I can get to a few more events next year.
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:16:30 AM »
No problem Michael,whenever you get time.
Get your stuff done and post more pics.
Hopefully that TM400 comes through for you as well.
Cheers Mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »
Mario will do I will go find it and post a pic it is good I don't want to have an excuse to buy a pe175 floater in the shed becuase there is a nice muffler in the shed. ;)

1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »
Good job Frosty.
Looks like this one will go "straight to the poolroom"
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 01:38:25 PM »
Yes but not the poolroom my mates lounge room but he will still take it to bike shows. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
I have just got back from Grovedale where Greame Dawe laced my gt80 rims for me they look mint I will post a picture in a second I will go to the bike shop maybe saturday to pick up some tubes and rim tape for the tyres I have I am just waiting on some seals for the brake plates/hubs it should look great hopefully I can have it rolling by sunday week I hope. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's