Author Topic: Ballarto Rd 1972  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Ballarto Rd 1972
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »

Russell bergmeir and I turned 16 basically at the same time.Graduated to riding solos in C grade. Wanted a bit more action tose days, so we borrowed Ron Bergmeir's Juior sidecar, saw the officials and added another entry into theall powers. Chased Ron in the first 2 races, he on the No 20 with the 750 Norton and us on No 20 with a 500 triumph. Anthony brothers are behind us in 3rd. Last of the 3 races was a handicap. held Ron at bay for 3 of 4 laps but he was having nothing about a couple of upstarts beating him. Raced with Russell for a small while and then went back to concentrating on solos until a short stint swinging on the skids on a Vincent and then a waterbottle.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Ballarto Rd 1972
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
.................. Anthony brothers are behind us in 3rd. ........ .....................................

Rosco, if you are refering to Trevor (Crazy) Anthony & Alan Anthony, i ran into Trevor a few months back and he is still racing outfits to this day and still bloody fast he was 59 when i spoke to him, he still has at least 3 chairs. so that's 40 + years on MX sidecars.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:12:54 AM »
I remember watching you guys race at Ballarto Rd, my first race was at Ballarto Rd the next year, I rode sub-juniors on my TM125L, finished second I think; before CR125's were released LOL.

That area has been so built up with houses for so long; hard to believe we raced there, LOL.

Yeh facebook is hooking me up with old faces from the 70's & 80's; unreal.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
Actually mucked up the year, it would have been 1974. Nephew now lives about where the track is. Below is a picture of the Anthony's on the sidecar on the start line for the handicap race. Would be the same gents Hoony. (Russell and I are 53 this year) If you shook a tree around Korumburra to Outtrim and Wonthaggi I reckon a sidecar would fall out. Back in the early days of VMX in Vic I tried to get races held at the Outtrim track as it had been built for the chairs and was perfect for VMX. You can see the difference between the locally built machines and the imported wasp. Which got me wondering, who was first to jump a sideacar. No-one else was doing it in the days we raced early. Russell forgot to roll the jump just going at it as if he was on his solo. Wish he had as the chairs guard fair wacked me in the arse. Don't get hang time like they do nowadays, but there is only so much you can do with a set of girlings and half a ton of sidecar.

Rosco86

Doggy Digger

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
Thumbless Russell was as fast as Portbury in the Dandy club.   (Landman and Portbury were the number ones at DMCC in mid 1970s)   His family worked pretty hard with the Portburys (roadmakers all) in establishing the Wonthaggi property

I remember the Bergys showed up at Wonthaggi with a yellow Wasp (1974?) and how special it was.  Chrome frame, and a rubber pressure bag for a shock at rear - with cantilever swing-arm.   I used to wonder how Russell could hang on so well, not having a thumb.   Especially a sidecar.

I remember that dip/creek running through the Ballarto Road track.   I won a C-Grade race there in 1975 (MXb-250) and I remember it being wet.   And that the bloody A-grade MXers were jumping into the creek, and hitting the far bank.   I think that was the last meeting there.

I'm checking in here to say that I often wonder about Russell and the other Bergmeiers ... about how they have never shown up at a vintage event or HBBB (to my knowledge).

Doggy Digger

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
PS:   Is that Ronnie Watts in chair with Mr Bergmeier Senior?

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
Gotta love the dual waterbags hanging off the HG Holden bumper in Roscos top photo. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
MX sidecars were always strong in Vic till late 80's. they even ran A and B grade state titles where the solo's were the support races. SA had the Hec Henderson Sidecar feature race and Korumburra ran the "Daryl Whelan Sidecar derby" which i remember in about 1987 had at least 25+ outfits attend

Korrumburra was the stongest club for outfits, and as Rossco said that area around Outtrim, Leongatha, wonthaggi was Sidecar City.

wonder if they are still all in sheds to this day?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »

there would have to be at least 40 of them out there somewhere  :o

I believe I know were the CCM motors are, but its the Westlake/Wasp with passenger L  Trewin,that interests me in the oz title results  ;D
These Bergmeier boys are big time Legends with all the National placed titles back in the 70/80's.
Someone will have to ask him at the Classic Nats,a high chance Russel may attend. 8)
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
Ron was pretty crook in 92 and wanted to sell off his bike stuff. He sold off either a thruxton or velocette for big dollars and I bought the ccm gear, a Lindsay Urquart centre hub cb750 road racing sidecar, that Ron had used at the Laverton Airbase meeting. Had killed two riders over its life so I wasn't overly keen on it, plus a 600cc JAP dirt track sidecar called the Arab. Both sidecars were sold to the gentlemen who owned Beaudesert Motorcycles in 93. They were racing vintage roadrace sidecars back then. The shop partnership split up and I am unsure where they went. Also acquired a JAP motor in a BSA Empire Star road racer that Ron finished his racing career on. Fell Off the BSA solo at Eastern Creek (I think ) the tail rider decided to run over him rather than the bike as he was a novice.Motor is now in a hagon frame and a gentleman in mackay is retoring the Empire Star.  Interestingly I have a CCM motor with the gearbox sawn off. Gearboxes were always a CCM problem and even more with a sidecar and a big motor. Its coming back to life in a speedway solo frame.

Russell and I raced VMX in Victoria on solos from 89-93 when I left for sunny Qld. Russell has been racing speedway cars for years and still enjoys them. Enjoyed the early VMX as it was social. Have talked to him about modern VMX but he's not keen. Had an offer of a bike from a forum member for the CDs but Russell was committed to other ventures. Probably believes he did his talkin in the past and isn't interested in any pressure to perform nowadays. When I catch up to him I always sound him out however. Might see if i can drag him out to HBBB with a bit od spare gear next year.

Allison the weslake motor still exists, but I might just leave it at that! Think RH250 advice!

Rosco86

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
which  wessy Rosco the 850 or the 500 twin ? i loved the sound of that 850 twin screaming when he raced that. the 500 twin was the one he won the 1983 aussie title on at ACUSA park
1986 Honda CR250RG

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
8 valve big motor, down south somewhere.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
Gotta love the dual waterbags hanging off the HG Holden bumper in Roscos top photo. ;D
Yeah-I knew a girl like that once :D

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »

there would have to be at least 40 of them out there somewhere  :o

I believe I know were the CCM motors are, but its the Westlake/Wasp with passenger L  Trewin,that interests me in the oz title results  ;D
These Bergmeier boys are big time Legends with all the National placed titles back in the 70/80's.
Someone will have to ask him at the Classic Nats,a high chance Russel may attend. 8)
cheers A

Any chance of seeing other pages of that program?
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.