Author Topic: the art of subterfuge (ie. how do you get your bikes under the radar)  (Read 3943 times)

mainline

I had a good chuckle about the stories in the last VMX mag about the different methods of sneaking home new purchases, like bringing it home in bits for gradual reassembly, or the three guys who bought identical bikes and told their wives they'd gone thirds in the one bike.

Anyone got any others to share, DJRacing I don't expect any from you, seeing as you get to build your bikes in the bloody loungeroom  ;D

Obviously, names can be changed to protect the guilty.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: the art of subterfuge (ie. how do you get your bikes under the radar)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
a few years back i took a load of rubbish to the dump, on leaving the house i stated it could take a while as there sure was some crap in that trailer.
after dumping the rubbish, it was flatout round to some blokes place that had a rolling chassis for sale. still about the same size as a bike though. on returning home i wasn't real sure how this was going to go over so i just pulled up beside the house and put the bike in the garden shed straight away. no-one saw anything, no-one said anything, no problem.
"flat bickie"

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
i dont know what to say at my place we do what ever we like if she wants something no worries if i want something no worries   equality is the answer  no sneakin them in i have her waiting for the truck when im working ;) so she  can unlock the gate and show them were to put the next rusty relic

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
I have done a few different things.From,i looking after a bike for someone or the fact that i can park in a spot that is not able to be seen from in the house.Then unload in the cover of darkness.Especially bikes that have come in a crate. Now i have safety in numbers. There is no way of knowing what is coming or going. If she says "is this new?", to which i just say " that old thing? I've had that thing for ages! I'm terrible!

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
hey mr she doesnt read this does she  ;)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
Nah, but im looking over my shoulder as i type!

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »
The old girl pays for most of my bits and pieces and does the books so it's all above board here .
But a mate of mine rocked up this arvo with a Honda XR 400 today and asked could I store it for a few weeks  ::) recons if he stores it here he won't get caught out  ??? yeh right

mx250

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:45:29 PM »
Talk about the ones you sell. For good effect wave the money under her nose (ensuring a firm grip - never underestimate the reflex of a woman when there is money involved  ;) :D).

Don't say nutting about the ones you buy.

I generally have a 'half way house' for safe keeping immediately after purchase, waiting for the right subterfuge or diplomatic moment to progress them into the collection. Having three locations for my stash is also helpfull  ;)  

Ebay is bit of a problem though. Parcel arriving from exotic locations with exotic stamps etc is bit of a give away  ::).

mx250

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
The old girl pays for most of my bits and pieces and does the books so it's all above board here .
You keep records  :o :o.

I don't think even I want to know that  ;) :D.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »
Every Item procured is on the spread sheet  :)      the rest is up to you to work out  :-X

mx250

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 09:25:50 PM »
Mate I do the excel sheet thing for my home reno, $2000 in 5 days, and that's scary enough for me.  ::)

I don't think I would enjoy my hobby if I was completely honest with myself. That $1 Ebay chamber is a bargain if I don't  record the $265  postage  ::)  ;D.

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »
sheds full under house full
even have some at work
i keep buying and selling
only thing wrong with that is you always find something you want to keep
and i have heaps :o
if she does a head count i am stuffed :'(
i will be in shed with them ::)
maybe thats not such a bad thing ???
follow me to first turn

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 12:35:40 AM »
I grovel ,whine ,kiss arse and well just do what comes naturally any husband, partner, father , household figurehead leader does.  :-X            actually experience tells me it does not work so I put up with being deeper and deeper in the shit......
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:51:05 AM »
A mate of mine bought a new skiboat every couple of years and they were always the same color (red) and had inboard engines. His wife and neigbors never realised. I have used his theory and have had a new bike (modern) every year since 2000, they have all been black. Too many old bikes for the wife to bother to count. Also, she has her shed for all her stuff (crap), and I have my shed  which is generally a no go zone for anyone without permission, (wife & children include)!
Cheers,
K

mainline

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:40 AM »
a tip for new players, make sure you shut down the browser window with your MyEbay summary before you walk off to do some work in the garden !