Author Topic: My CR500 build  (Read 7610 times)

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
My CR500 build
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Thought Id post some pics of my CR500 RJ build.Im not going for a restoration,just a tidy up and a good going over.Started on Saturday and have to have it finished for this weekend for the QVMX meet at Coles Creek.I think I was very lucky to score this bike,it was for sale for sometime and I think it was due to the ugly black guards and oversize desert tank,it must have put people off becuase appart from its ugly looks its an extreemly low hour bike,everything is nice and tight and as close to new that I could hope for[for an unrestored bike].Im very happy with it and am enjoying the rebuild.Heres some pics of where Im up too.

Radiators are nice and straight

I almost have a full set of new plastics here,just waiting on shrouds to turn up and some decals.Also have new seat cover,fork gators and Boysen clutch and ignition covers to go on.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: My CR500 build
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Mate starting with a bike that good is almost cheating  ;D, you are right about the black guards and desert tank...hideous. Just clean her up and ride it
formerly Marc.com

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
leave the front number plate  8)
follow me to first turn

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
Heres a pic of where Im up to,fork gaitors didnt fit so Im just going to run without them,Went for some new kenda buds creek tyres,fitted some pro taper bars,Boysen cover and an alloy sproket cover,all bearings regreased.Tank needs allot of love,having trouble getting what looks to be an old rego sticker off the frame.Still waiting on shrouds and new bolts.Im happy with the way its coming allong.Hope it comes together in time.

mxfool

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
awsome bike  man and i hope you kept the front plate  :o :o

mxfool

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
looking  good James, the ugly duckling is Swanning up.

i would recommend you get some fork swipers if you not going to replace the fork gators as the Dust seals won't keep the crud out of the seals. i don't know if you can still get the colored Gatorz brand swipers anymore, but i reckon the Yamaha YZ250S 1986
(Yamaha Part # 1LX-23144-LO) fork swipers on mine do the trick. they are a bit exy ( $35 each from memory 7 years ago ) but do a good job and i reckon they look good.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Ive got a set of Progrip fork gators on my 84 500 and they only cost around $35
off Ballards and they fitted up perfect.
Did 6 races last year on them and they still look brand new  :)
Its weird how this topic has come up becuase im doin the same sorta
work to my 89 CR500 (new plastics,seat cover,tyres,flywheel cover, etc)
Mine was an import model from the usa too, still has the rec rego california sticker
on the fork leg but its staying put ....
Wish i could post some pics up but have cancelled my bucket account  :(
Anyways you have a nice honda 500 there James keep up the good work
and cant wait to see the finished product.
 Andrew 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:55:32 PM by Andrew vmx »

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
looking  good James, the ugly duckling is Swanning up.

i would recommend you get some fork swipers if you not going to replace the fork gators as the Dust seals won't keep the crud out of the seals. i don't know if you can still get the colored Gatorz brand swipers anymore, but i reckon the Yamaha YZ250S 1986
(Yamaha Part # 1LX-23144-LO) fork swipers on mine do the trick. they are a bit exy ( $35 each from memory 7 years ago ) but do a good job and i reckon they look good.

Busted big time Hoony,
                                 Yamaha parts on your Honda, WTF is going on here.  ;D

(Sorry for the thread hijack)
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
There is an Ebay seller named jesusislordandgod (seriously!) who sells 43mm fork gators in several different colours, i have some and they're good quality. He also has repro chain sliders, inlet manifolds etc..

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
Busted big time Hoony,
                                 Yamaha parts on your Honda, WTF is going on here.  ;D

Bugger...... ::)

There is an Ebay seller named jesusislordandgod (seriously!) who sells 43mm fork gators in several different colours, i have some and they're good quality. He also has repro chain sliders, inlet manifolds etc..

being a born again Atheist i don't think i could buy off a bloke with that handle. i will have a look at the stuff though.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
I brought a part of that guy he sent me a funny plastic religous coin with my part ???
some sort of colt may be  :D

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »
A.K.A.  Hotfootmoto who advertises in vmx mag ;)

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Im going to try some of his stuff in good faith ;D

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Why is it that you see so many low hour bikes that come from the Usa that look like that have hardly been ridden where as you hardly ever seen a low hour old motocross bike here in original condition that hasn't had the ring flogged out of it!!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 03:51:04 PM »
Why is it that you see so many low hour bikes that come from the Usa that look like that have hardly been ridden where as you hardly ever seen a low hour old motocross bike here in original condition that hasn't had the ring flogged out of it!!

Does that mean we are much keener riders than the Yanks.  ;)
formerly Marc.com