Author Topic: 2012 Classic Dirt Track Championships - Canberra October 6/7  (Read 24207 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Given this event is coming up fast I reckon we need a thread here for it. The Australian Classic Dirt Track Championships will be held at the Fairbairn track at Canberra on the weekend of October 6&7. I have very little information to hand as yet however I am sure that we'll be hearing more soon. The titles were in Canberra a few years ago and were a big success. Canberra is pretty central, the track is a ripper, there's plenty of other attractions in Canberra, and the club is pretty good at organisation, so I expect things will go just as well this year. Anyone interested in racing in October but who wants a taste of things there will be at least two club days before then, plus more than likely a few practice days. There is also the Canberra Cup on 7/8 July.

One matter that needs clarification is whether this championship is for Classic, Post Classic or both. I understand that the club is currently looking to get this sorted with MA - I will report back on the outcome.

I am not on the committee or anything but any questions raised here I am happy to pass on for answering. Remember though that it's still early days yet so I don't think too many things have been set in stone yet.

Curly3

Re: 2012 Classic Dirt Track Championships - Canberra October 6/7
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
You're right Graeme time fly's.
This is gunna be an absolute ripper.
The track is superb and the club really know how to run an event like this.
I coulda, woulda, shoulda been riding but I'll definitely be there as keen observer.
Anyone thinking about it should stop thinking and start preparations.
Cheers, Steve

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
They should apply to run both the pre and post champs as they have the numbers thne for sure
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
 Hey I wanna run my pre70 RT1!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
I hope they can run both Classic and Post Classic. If so I will be there with 4 bikes  :) ;) :D ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
No word yet on what the club is running as far as Classic and Post Classic goes.

I'm pretty keen to race and provided my RM250T goes OK at CD9 I reckon I'll race it. Which means I'm hoping for Post Classic at least!

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:33 AM »
Are these dates firm for this event , as need to put in for holidays and book  accomodation ?
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:49 AM »
I believe so. The dates are set in the MA National calendar and in the ACT MCC's calendar.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
I believe the club is close to settling what classes the Canberra meeting will be. At this stage no further info to offer but will advise as soon as I hear.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:16 PM »
After missing the Queensland Classic VMX Nats because of some dicky health issues, I'm more than determined to get myself and my dirt track tackle set up and running well for this meet. I'm really looking forward to it.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:59:47 PM »
Hope to see you here Mark, it should be a good meeting. For sure I can't see them doing both Classic and Post Classic, so it'll be interesting to see what it comes down to. Personally I'd prefer them to go Post Classic, but knowing my luck... I'm more than likely gonna have to find me a Pre 78 bike I suspect...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
Personally I'd prefer them to go Post Classic
And what happens to all of the pre 78 bikes Graeme? No, I think that they can still fit all the divisions into the Dirt Track Nats format. The races are shorter, there's a quicker turnover and the enty level is less than that of it's motocross brother. Bring it on. 8)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
That's not quite what I meant - I was observing that if the club chooses one or the other to run, I would prefer the Post Classic as my only vintage bike is a 1980 model. If they go Classic, I will need to find a bike somehow.

I can't speak for the club, but I suspect when they applied to run the titles they didn't realise that firstly it has been divided into Classic and Post Classic, and secondly that Post Classic now includes Pre 90.  That is a helluva lot of classes to run if you take on both divisions at the one event. I take your points, but my guess is they'll come down in favour of just the one division. But which one?

As I said though, it's up to the club to decide, so as soon as I hear I'll let everyone know.

Curly3

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
It was my understanding that this years titles would remain combined.
I think the entry numbers may be down if they do the split.
Not that it affects me this year.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
they run a FULL program for the NAt dirt track nats there like 3 years ago so they can certainly get through the program. and the boys there run a tight shit and a quick start gate.  they shold do them both.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff