We had noticed a couple of the forum members were discussing a bike built by John Finglas.
John built the bike 1959 and rebuilt the bike in 2001.
The bike was a rigid matchless frame circa 1949, heavily modified to give a suitable front fork angle and wheel base.
The engine started life as a G8O, it has home built steel flywheels and big end pin an 10 to 1 high compression piston. Porter pistons of Maryborough made the piston.
It has a screwed exhaust pipe nut, an inch and a quarter grand prix amal carburettor with a remote float bowl. The plastic tube wound vertically attached to the bottom of the carby acts as a reservoir when the bike is leant over. The spark plug has been relocated centrally in the combustion chamber. The 10mm spark plug seats on the end of the plug and not in the normal seating position, so it looks like the plug is not screwed in properly. There is only a 3/16 dia hole extending into the combustion chamber because there is not enough room between the valve seats. The fins have been taken off of the head and cylinder to make it run hot enough to use methanol (Shell A).
The engine has been repositioned so as to be in a similar position to most other dirt track bikes of the time.
The petrol tank is two matchless G80S tool boxes welded together. The quick action throttle is home made. The kill switch is a result of the modern work place health and safety. The best bit on the bike is the petrol cap.