Author Topic: postage on parts from usa  (Read 4686 times)

Offline dodgee

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
postage on parts from usa
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »
has any body had any bare engine cases posted from usa. i have just won a pair from usa and the guy wants $70 us postage.

Re: postage on parts from usa
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:40:02 PM »
Sounds about right to me as everything comes air now. I bought a set of '74 125 forks and they cost $100. You could go to UPS and do your own calculation

magoo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »
USPS don't do surface any more so $70 is more than fair. Just pay it and they'll be here next week.

Offline dodgee

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »
thanks thats sounds ok, might seem a lot because the cases only cost 79cents .when did they stop sending by sea.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 08:08:41 PM »
3 maybe 4 months ago. I have been using airmail for a while so i cant remember exactly. It use to shit me waiting for 4 months anyway!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:19 PM »
ask if they will fit into the UPS international flat rate box > if they do its only $40 ! 

other wise your screwed, everything goes air and the cost of fuel is high.  postage rates ar eonline - you shoulda done your homework :O
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
Dodgee, I think the U.S. postal system has had a huge price rise in the last few months, I have been quoted upwards of $180 dollars for shipping of a pipe, It's not as economical as it used to be if looking for cheap bits from the U.S.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:51 PM »
Sound high to me. I've just got a box larger than an MX seat here for $55US.

Don't know what you can do about it other than ask.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »
Dodgee, just did a quick calc using the weight of heavier bare TM250 cases and it comes to $66.80USD (13lb)

if it fits in a flat rate box then, as Freaky says, about $37USD..The max weight for a USPS flat rate box is 20lbs so there really is no reason why this couldn't be used if the seller will do it.

Tony T

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 08:19:49 AM »
A while ago I got a steel tank postaed from Alice Springs and it cost $AUD53.00 and took about 10 days. A little later, I got a huge Acerbis tank sent from country Califorinia and it cost $AUD63.00 and took 4 days.  :o
But it sounds like UPS may not be so cheap anymore.................

firko

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 09:15:27 AM »
Yeah, Tony I agree with everybody, $70 is par for the course. There used to be the surface mail poor boy alternative but USPS doesn't do it any more and neither does OZpost for that matter. At least it's quick.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »
The snail mail option from the US to OZ was withdrawn in May of this year - sooooooo now it will really cost us. one way around it for the stuff you are not in a hurry for is to find a buddy in the States who will store it for you and then periodically bulk ship through an importer. Often afew boxes of our old crap will fit snug in the boot of a RHD Mustang on it's way to OZ.

As regular importer of bits and pieces from the States the price quoted for the cases is more than reasonable. I had a set of 81 400 Maico cases (just the two halves - no guts) quoted out of the UK for over 70 POUNDS - something like $170AU!!! (The guy is a good sport so they are still sitting over there until need them)

Further I had a DG pipe for a 79 CR250 sent out only about six weeks ago and it cost in the region of $50US which I thought was more than fair.

The things to watch out for are the sleezes who try and rip us off and a way around that is to ask the seller to tell you the exact weight and dimensions of the parcel and then tell him you will find out how much it is to save him the trouble. It's as easy as entering the data into the US Postal Service website and it does the rest. Then get back to Mr Seller and TELL him how much it will cost.

If you are buying via Evilbay then double check the shipping and quietly let the seller know that should the postage price quoted be higher than what the actual cost on arrival then you will be after a refund of the difference.

In closing the reason the tank shipped in OZ cost so much was because domestic postage uses a 'cubed weight' formula (worked on VOLUME of the box to an average standard of weight or the actual weight - whichever is the dearer, go figure?) whereas the overseas shipping goes on weight alone.

I agree with the other posters here - it used to shit me waiting for months to get a part (if it didn't get stolen or lost anyway!) and now you have it in days - a case of you get what you pay for !!! 
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »
i was quoted $100 US for as set of shocks  USPS or $209 UPS >:( i obviously chose USPS. thoiugh it was a bit high but i had to wear it. then a bit later the seller said the shipping was overcharged by $50 and refunded me the money which i though was very honest. he could of  just left it and then i would of seen the lable at $50 when i got it but he did the right thing. he was probably using an online calculator which are not always correct. Also the listing said ships to USA only. i asked him if he could ship to AUS. he said no but would ship to my friend in USA. when auction closed he said he would get a quote to send direct to me instead and had changed his mind. it was his first time to ship outside USA and intitally wasnt sure how to do it. so i guess thats a good story, and it always pays to ask them if they will ship outside their country and remove bidding restrictions if there is any.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 05:09:36 PM »
mmmm..well I was going to bid on a 5x JR50 clutch fibres but when I was quoted $29.93US for postage I thought otherwise..mind you, new plates here are $15ea roughly and I need 2 so if I won the egay items for $1 then I'd be on a winner as I'd have 3 spares that would probably never get used...hmmm..might still have to pounce on them but near $30US for postage for these itty bits is over the top when we could post them over there for half that  :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 05:13:13 PM by Doc »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »
mmmm..well I was going to bid on a 5x JR50 clutch fibres but when I was quoted $29.93US for postage I thought otherwise..mind you, new plates here are $15ea roughly and I need 2 so if I won the egay items for $1 then I'd be on a winner as I'd have 3 spares that would probably never get used...hmmm..might still have to pounce on them but near $30US for postage for these itty bits is over the top when we could post them over there for half that  :(

yep i was going to bid on some DT clutch plates same one or same seller ?  I emailed and asked to confirm postage as it should be <$12 , Any way email comes back $29.95, after he pulled that shit i sent and email back  saying " $10 postage - $19.95 profit and handling"> doc incorrage them  DOC, sure you can wait to a decent sellers is offering them ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff