Author Topic: How was the new Canberra track  (Read 6357 times)

magoo

How was the new Canberra track
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
I guess some of the boys will start floating home from the Heaven round at the new Canberra track. I couldn't make it due to last minute dramas at home so how did it go, who were the stars of the show and what was the track like for the vintage bikes, it sounds awesome.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: How was the new Canberra track
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:26:40 PM »
The track is indeed awesome, and I think it will get the big thumbs up! All the usual names were up front, with a guy on an RM400 the undoubted star. Dean Burt I think someone said he is. I hope I got that right. He rode brilliantly. Dennis loaned his KTM to a local lad who of course was outrageously fast and showed us what an old bike, even a KTM, can really do. I had a ball on the RM, but health problems left me without the stamina to last more than 1-2 laps at race pace. Had a lot of fun though. Shame you missed it Magoo, you'd love it. I'll post up some pics later.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
The track is indeed awesome, and I think it will get the big thumbs up! All the usual names were up front, with a guy on an RM400 the undoubted star. Dean Burt I think someone said he is. I hope I got that right. He rode brilliantly.

Good to hear of another awesome vintage track and some new guys on the scene, hope your right with the name Dean Burt as he is an absolute talent on a bike and it would be good to see him riding again, he used to make his full time living racing moto cross and supercross for some of the best teams in Australia. Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
Yeah, it was good.

As a modern track, the extra width and changed lay-out has made it a better track.
As a vintage track, the extra 'bigness' of everything has hurt it.
As a modified-to-be-vintage-friendly track, its one step foward and one step backward.
Certainly re-shuffled the deck a bit - lap times and positions were clearly related to jumping confidence, even though none of the jumps are all that nasty (ie: If you weren't afraid, you'd be considerably faster than those who were afraid [I am a confirmed and devout coward]).

This jump can easily be cleared on a pre-70 bike, for example. Landings are smooth and pleasant, even.
I'd love to see the photo that was taken of Noel and I (orange CZ, black DT1) on this jump, from the morning session - sorry, didn't recognise the photographer.

(Photo shamelessly stolen from Graeme's post)

Random observations as they come to mind:
*Dean Burt was as good as you'd expect an ex-Pro to be. Awesome to watch, and was never seriously challenged.
*Donny needs to be taught that beating your sponsor on your sponsor's bike is not OK (two Classic 125 wins is pretty good though).  :D
*Snowy seems to have forgotten how to crash. Probably a good thing for all concerned, but much less entertaining that his old ways.
*Clinton is getting a lot faster.
*Lots of positivity, happiness and generosity around the place.
*Macca busted his collarbone early in the racing. Tough old bastard drove his manual car back up to the central coast anyhow... and yes, it was his left collarbone. :o
*Good to see a lot of new faces out there. :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:28:45 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
I'm with Nathan, a complete pussy when it comes to jumps. Which means I am destined to always be an also ran placings wise at Canberra. But I rate it as one of the better tracks I've ever ridden on and even the whoops are easy enough to negotiate.

Anyways, here's some pics from the day.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
good to see some pre - 85 photos.  I am gutted I was not there. 

Offline Dan-166

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:39 AM »
Great weekend. Thanks to all the people that were involved, especially Dennis. He worked tirelessly over the week leading up to the event and also over the weekend. He even gave up riding to be the clerk of the course so that the rest of us could ride, so as a club, we need to have a think about that. I would like to put a motion forward at the next meeting that Dennis receives 'his average points' for this round at the end of the year so that he is not disadvantaged. Let's not forget that due to other race meetings on in that area, that there was a shortage of officials and Dennis gave up his ride so that the rest of the HEAVEN club could have a ride! I am keen to get some feedback on this point guys, please have a think.
As for the track, well. My thoughts are good and not so good.
Good points - great surface, excellent watering system, good layout, very 'modern bike' friendly.
Not So Good points - Not very vintage friendly now with the large step-up jumps ( and yes I know you can roll them but we all know what happens when the gate drops)
But, that being said, had a great weekend and would not have missed it for quids. Canberra is always a top event and look forward to the August event.
Bring on CRC.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:33 AM »
Yep all that,
Dennis buy passed one of the step ups for the pre 78 and earlier classes with a fun little right left section with a small off camber bump in the middle which made for a much better flowing track,jumps not with standing the surface and corners were a blast, so you could have fun just riding those sections and wimp out on the worst of the jumps.
the 2 big table tops on the back section i found fine on the old bikes and even found myself over jumping the ones at the finish line on the pre 70 CZ which was a little disconcerting while in mid air but came a way unscathed, ;D
I did wimp out on the step ups after having ago on the 125 in practice on Sat and just about sticking the cross bar between my teeth :'(
I certainly enjoyed it although I know some riders found it very physically demanding
would like to have there feed back on that as well.
Another comment heard made by one off our faster riders was that it was good to have the young guys and Dean Burt there to see what could be done and encourage him to lift his own game.Which he promptly did.
As 166 said roll on CRC which will be a new thread starting soon.

( magoo What will we do about the seals)
Cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:33:39 AM by Noel »

husky61

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »
Very very , nice track

The track is very flexible in its design and lends itself to easy re directions when required. A little bit of work on the top of the jumps and they would be perfect.

Nice job by the Canberra club. You have to envy a club that has that type of facility at their disposal .

husky61

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Flying suzuki

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »

This jump can easily be cleared on a pre-70 bike, for example. Landings are smooth and pleasant, even.
I'd love to see the photo that was taken of Noel and I (orange CZ, black DT1) on this jump, from the morning session - sorry, didn't recognise the photographer.

Hey Nathan

Here's a link to a (really) short video I took at that jump of you and Noel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48NJm9ibvQ

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »
Thanks Shaun, (nice shot of you buy the way)
12 seconds of fame is all you can ask of life.( I've watched it frame buy frame ,some of the stills would make good Photo's)

You do realise Nathan that I will be protesting you because of the 125 numberplates that your using on the 250. ;D
Noel
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:02:52 PM by Noel »

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 09:36:26 PM »
you can see why it is a bit hard to understand oz555ktm's post's
who's that behind the 5 sec board  ::)

http://www.ozvmx.com/images/events/heaven-rd2-09/8.jpg

;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:01:47 PM by Noel »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »
I wondered if anyone would spot that! The 15 second board went up, 3 seconds later it was 5, and 1 second later the gate went. And all the while the board was upside down!

We'll forgive him though. Track prep, clerk of the course, starter, bike loaner outer, enthusiastic encouragement to everyone, is there anything he DOESN'T do?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 07:47:26 AM »
You do realise Nathan that I will be protesting you because of the 125 numberplates that your using on the 250. ;D
Noel

Then I'll protest you for being colour blind! :P ;D

And thanks Shaun! :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:56:54 AM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.